By Richard J. Reid
- Adopts a long term method of present matters, stressing the significance of nineteenth-century and deeper indigenous dynamics in explaining Africa's later twentieth-century challenges
- Places a better specialize in African business enterprise, in particular through the colonial encounter
- Includes extra in-depth insurance of non-Anglophone Africa
- Offers multiplied insurance of the post-colonial period to take account of modern advancements, together with the clash in Darfur and the political unrest of 2011 in Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya
Read Online or Download A History of Modern Africa: 1800 to the Present (Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World) PDF
Similar african history books
The Encyclopedia of Prehistory represents additionally outlined bya somewhatdifferent set of an try and supply easy details sociocultural features than are eth on all archaeologically identified cultures, nological cultures. significant traditions are masking the whole globe and the total outlined in accordance with universal subsistence prehistory ofhumankind.
Because the finish of the chilly struggle, Africa has visible a dramatic upward push in new political and non secular phenomena, together with an eviscerated privatized nation, neoliberal NGOs, Pentecostalism, a resurgence in accusations of witchcraft, a tradition of scamming and fraud, and, in a few international locations, a virtually common desire to to migrate.
Surviving with Dignity explores 3 key interconnected themes—structural violence, agony, and surviving with dignity—through interpreting the lived reports of first and second-generation migrant Hausa males in Niamey during the last twenty years within the present neoliberal second. Colonialism, kingdom mismanagement, structural adjustment, and international neoliberalism have inflicted structural violence on Nigeriens by means of denying them human and especially socioeconomic rights and relegating them to a standing at—or very near—the backside of UN Human improvement Index in every year of the prior decade.
Relocating past the present fixation on "state construction," the interdisciplinary paintings accrued the following explores regulatory authority in South Sudan's borderlands from either modern and historic views. Taken jointly, those experiences exhibit how rising governance practices problem the bounded categorizations of "state" and "non-state.
- Where Am I From?
- Women in the South African Parliament: FROM RESISTANCE TO GOVERNANCE
- Empire Ways: Aspects of British Imperialism
- China’s Expanding African Relations: Implications for U.S. National Security
- Gender and the Genocide in Rwanda: Women as Rescuers and Perpetrators (Routledge Studies in Gender and Security)
- Obama and Kenya: Contested Histories and the Politics of Belonging (Ohio RIS Global Series)
Additional resources for A History of Modern Africa: 1800 to the Present (Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World)
A History of Modern Africa: 1800 to the Present (Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World) by Richard J. Reid